Register to view this forum

The Tattoo Shop - UK Tattoo Forum » Becoming a Tattooist

Step by Step Beginner

(10 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by II HARRIS II
  • Latest reply from inkmanic
  1. II HARRIS II

II HARRIS II

Im really looking into this whole side of knowledge before i think of picking up a gun. Knowledge first....Tattoo later

Just seems asif some people have similar ideas but alternatives to each. So just want to clear one thing up.

Do you use pure or diluted Dettol on the skin/piggy first, wait to go tacky. Stick on stencil, wait for bout 15 mins for stencil to dry, then then vaseline the area over the stencil. Tattoo, then whilst tattooing wipe with water soaked tissue? Then clean afterwards with green soap diluted 10%?

Any comments and advice are greatly appreciated.

Cheers II HARRIS II

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. gazghostrider

gazghostrider

Hi mate, I used pure dettol the other day for the first time and was really impressed on how the stencil looked, seemed to go tacky quicker than 15 mins to be honest but all in all it worked really well. Everything else youve said sounds about right in my eyes unless some of the other lads have a really particular way of doing things. Hope Ive helped, Im still only a beginner myself but Im kind of finding out its a very trial and error art form but enjoyable to learn. God luck with it pal.
    Gaz

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

elsie72

i started using a transfer fluid instead of the dettol as i had problems using diluted dettol with the stencils rubbing off when i was only half way through a tattoo, the fluid works really well, i still leave it to dry about 10 -15 mins when the stencil is on before starting which helps the lines stay. i use cooled boiled water with a tiny bit of dettol in the bottle for wiping the ink off in between lines - i tend to spray the tissue rather than the skin until i am finished.
    dont always use vaseline as - not sure if anyone else has views on this - i heard stories it can lift the ink out or make needles slip,

have fun and dont panic if you dont get it right... after all nothing comes without practice
    Lorraine (elsie72) x

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

korky

hi,lads i asked a man who tattooed in the uk for 20 years about stencil fluids and he said that pure dettol was perfect,so i use it in a spray bottle,spray it on,wipe around the skin with tissue,apply the stencil,and thats it,i have huge success with it and would never dream of using anything else to be honest.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. II HARRIS II

II HARRIS II

Hey, Thanks for the replies! I am looking to get Value Tattoo kit 2 and just wanted to confirm the routine so when i get my hands on it and some piggy i can start off on the right foot.

Im nearly 21 and been drawing for years, i been wanting to learn to tattoo for a while but its always been pushed back due to other commitments. Now want to learn and appreciate the art as i know its nothing like drawing with a pen/pencil!! lol

Will your stationary carbon paper do the job or is it best to stretch the few quid and get Stencil paper?

Gazghostrider you say your kinda new to this....how you getting on mate? And you Elsie72 you tattooin yet?

Glad this Forum isnt full of Stuck up people

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. II HARRIS II

II HARRIS II

Sorry...Just seen your first Ink on yourself Gaz

Nice work practice makes perfect

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

elsie72

hiya , yeah i have been tattooing for about 8 months, not really confident yet - nothing prepares you for the first time actually tattooing a person!! have posted some pics of my first few tats on the pic thread.

practice hopefully makes perfect lol

Lorraine

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. JohnnyChaos

JohnnyChaos

Stencil paper uses hectographic ink. Carbon paper is totally different and won't work.

Pure detol is great for stencils.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. II HARRIS II

II HARRIS II

Elsie Nice Work!! Cheers for the responses guys. So i better get some stencil paper then looking forward to gettin my kit on the 30th

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

inkmanic

dettol works very well but u want to try stencil stuff its on this website it will stay on for more than 3 days after the tattoo its amazing if you dont want the stencil to dissapear you can wipe it down with green soap nearily as much as you want and it stays there amazing product

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.