Tattoo Shop Forum

Register to view this forum

The Tattoo Shop - UK Tattoo Forum » Machine Technical Questions

rear spring tension.

(6 posts)

No tags yet.

1. User has not uploaded an avatar

korky

ordered a spring set,now im sure the front spring is bent to about 15 degrees but the back spring i understand is normally fixed to bar then machine turn it out 90 degrees from the machine frame and bend it up a little,but how much,i know that theres an implement you can buy(a tension gauge)to set the tension pretty exact for each machine,ie liner,shader,some tattooists say you cant guess this that the gauge is absolutely nessesary,what way do you guys do it,any advice greatly appreciated,korky.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. JohnnyChaos

JohnnyChaos

How much you bend it is going to be down to what you want from your machine and what spring gauge you have. Set your volts low to start with.. around 5v as you will need more once you have a needle and tube in it.

As a starting point you could try setting a contact gap of about 3mm, with enough bend on the rear spring so that when the armature is in the up position there is very VERY little pressure on the front spring from the contact screw.
    This (with maybe a bit of tweaking) should make for a vlong throw and sloooow machine. Good for packing colour. Maybe a bit of shading if it'll run on lower volts. I often line with something not far from this.

If that's running nice you could try winding the contact in some more, speed the machine up and find the speed and hit you like for what ever you're doing with it.

As a very very rough guide, as you crank the contact down look at the armature nipple from the front of the machine.
    two balls one above the other = colorpacker/shader
    figure of 8 = shader/long throw liner
    two balls overlapping slightly = liner/fast B&G shader

Like I said tho it's going to vary on your machine and spring gauge. I don't pretend to know a massive amount about setting up coil machines. But I know what I like and that's something to get you started I guess

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

korky

ok johnny,ill give them a go,thanks for takin the time to reply.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

tatzaholic

hold it in front of a tv and have a look at the side of the armature bar

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. cromag31

cromag31

the arm bar should have a flutter to it!

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. stevie

stevie

do all machines need t have the rear springs bent up a bit? would that b a problem with colour packing if it wasnt bent?

Posted 3 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.