Tattoo Shop Forum

Register to view this forum

The Tattoo Shop - UK Tattoo Forum » Machine Technical Questions

Needle depth

(17 posts)

No tags yet.

1. User has not uploaded an avatar

manemzjum

OK i understand that that you only want to penetrate the first 2 layers of skin and this should be around 8/" or so

Now my question is when i set-up my machine liner to ride off the tube i would set the needle to be level with the tip of the tube and have a 2mm gap from the contact screw to the front spring but when looking at the needle when the machine is running the needle seems to come out rather far is this right should i run this with the tip on the skin while tattooing

When i say far i mean about 5mm or so

8/" is about 3.2mm or so

According to wiki human skin is 1.5mm thick now if this is referring to a single layer then a depth of 3.2mm is exactly right

But how would i go about checking my depth setting

Can't exactly hold a tape to the tip while running the machine

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

simple

Your set-up is correct and yes the needles do come out quite far but you only work off the tips of the needles. Otherwise you get blow-outs. You can quite easily see what you are doing as you should be holding your machine at an angle. Just keep thinking to yourself 2 layers of skin no deeper. Its easier than it seems.

Hope this helps

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

manemzjum

cheers m8 just kinda looking for some verification
    That will do

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

simple

Glad i could help anything else just ask on this thread ill keep an eye open

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ink_marks

the reason your needles come out further than the size of the air gap is due to the amount of depression on your front spring(normal). this is why tuning is an important issue as all diferent guages of steel and angle and bend will ultimately determine how your machine runs. the way to run off the tube tip is to run the machine and see if you need to adjust your grip and tip to get the required depth. once you feel your needle is hanging out just right you can start to tattoo.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

manemzjum

Thanks its just recently my hand has started to shake about a min after i start the tattoo (nerves most likely) so i feel if i run the tip on the skin it would steady my hand and give a better line just till my shaky hand passes

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

tatzaholic

could be you havent built the muscles up in your hand rather than nerves

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

manemzjum

need a stress ball ?

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

smurf86

the gap should b when the armature bar is pushed down and u wont go wrong.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

manemzjum

the difference in lining tuning and shading tuning is another thing

For liner i use a short front spring and a slightly heavier a-bar run at about 8-9 volts
    For shader i use a longer front spring and a lighter a-bar run about 6-7 volts

I generally use a 2mm gap from contact screw for both set-ups would this seem right or is there another adjustment i should make

Ive done a few simple tattoo's and seems to work fine i just need to nail this shaky thing on the head

M8 has been in a few weekends and ive had a few beers and gave him a small tattoo and always seems do go fine (Dutch courage) so i reckon im just nervous about making an arse of it

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. tat enthusiast

tat enthusiast

nerves in begginers is quite a common thing! a can or two can help but might make you more likely to slip up! try riding the tube and hold a ball of tissue in your machine hand while doing the tattoo! hope this helps with your lining mate!

Graham!
    Posted 4 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

shop

Key Master

This does go in time, could be weeks could be months depending on volume.

Brian@thetattooshop
    Posted 4 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

manemzjum

Thanks guys next one i think i will like you say ride the tube will bleed ink on stencil but hopefully be better lines

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

headless

even tho you get ink on the stencil if you use Vaseline it should just dab off

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

DOZER

what does ride the tube mean? lol

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

manemzjum

means you would have the needle stick out end of tube about 1.5mm when the armature bar is depressed then just tattoo with the tip of the tube on the skin kinda like drawing with a pencil rather than the conventional method of riding the needle and holding the needle at the correct depth while tattooing manually

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

DOZER

oh i see.. thanks, i ride the needle, i have my needle about 6mm out when the amature bar is pressed, the problem i sometimes have is when people flinch because of the pain i find myself not going deep enough because i feel bad lol

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.