The Tattoo Shop - UK Tattoo Forum » Machine Technical Questions

Has anyone used Rotary Jack Hammer Tattoo Gun

(12 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Chippytom
  • Latest reply from blue dragon

Tags:

1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Chippytom

Im lerning how to tattoo, brought the rotary Jack Hammer tattoo machine but recived no information about it. need help please.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. JimJim

JimJim

Hiya,

See you not doing too well with replies. I have a rotary, but not the Jack Hammer, that's a swish rotary right?

What problems you having exactly?

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Chippytom

Hello

its almost like the swashdrve machine but cheaper. Had a few gose on fake skin and 1 go on my leg with coil machine's which i got with a set, got on ok with them but thought it would be better to have a almost silent machine so that i dont disterb my kids when there in bed as thats the only time I have to practice.
    Thought id go for this rotary because of the way in which it works and it look's good, anyway the machine didnt come with any info on ajustment to set for liner or shader and am I right in thinking with most tattoo machines its important to use them between the recomended volted or could bugger the machine up.
    What rotary have you got and do you get on with it.

Thanks for replying

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. JimJim

JimJim

I have a beginners rotary that came with my starter kit.

There is no set up like with a coil machine, probably why you had no instructions, didn't have any with mine either. The only things you can change are needle depth and speed. Needle depth is changed simply by sliding the tube up or down. My power supply only has one control, so I can only change speed and my volts automatically change with it. Whatever power supply you have use the same speed settings as you would for your coil machine.

There is not setting to change from liner to shader, it's just a case of changing the speed on your power supply. Play about a bit on pig skin and test out the speeds but my coil is both liner and shader in one. Slower speed for lining, speed it up a bit for colour. I use elastic bands, again the same as the coil. I find the disposable tubes I use are too long so I cut the top off them otherwise my elastic bands rub against the top of the tube.

Mine is quiet, smooth, and needs very little set up, good machine for a beginner. Let me know how you get on mate.

Jim

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Chippytom

I will pick up a pig skin and have a blast as soon as I can. will Will let you know how I get on.
    Cheers for that

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

shop

Key Master

The Jack Hammer is set up as an all rounder which means you don't set it up you just plug it in. Adjust the voltage depending on the application.
    Please note a machine can only be judged on the skin NOT fake skin, these are designed for you to get the feel of a machine, I used a jack hammer all week a while ago and it performed brilliant.

Brian@thetattooshop
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

panalman

The orginal Jack Hammer is a nice bit of kit and produces excellent work in the right hands but I am guessing Chippytom has the copy that is being produced in China it won't last long a mate of mine bought a stealth copy from China only done a couple of small tattoo's and it fell apart cheap is not good in this game but neither is very expensive and over priced machine's a ceiling of £150.00 per machine is a guide I would work to for a coil or rotary this should give you a machine that can work a 8 hour day for many years with just basic maintenance.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Chippytom

I have the orginal jackhammer brought from this site. Dont buy cheap copys.
    have you used this rotary Panalman

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

swkb

Im using a rotary as a shader bought from Ronnie star at 176 quid.. damn awesome although heavy as is brass.Wouldnt even entertain the idea of the jack hammer..too many copies about.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. JohnnyChaos

JohnnyChaos

Personally I wouldn't buy a machine of Ronnie Starr. They do have some nice stuff, but a lot of their gear, including their own brand needles, are made in China and re-branded.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

panalman

Please excuse the very late reply and to answer your question yes I have used the Australian swash drive which is the original machine.

The Jack hammer as sold in the shop is an idea based on the original design the one's sold on e bay are copy's of the Jack hammer I have not examined the machine in the shop but would know straight away if it was any different to the one's sold on e bay which I have in deed examined and for the money they are not bad but there are a few flaws in the build which can be ironed out if you strip one down and do a bit of filing here and there and reassemble.

At least then the needle bar will run central in the tube there is no side to side movement which is vital for a Rotary machine the copy's do not run on low voltage 7-9 volts is quite smooth and quiet with a nice balance as its not top heavy like a lot of rotary's due to the motor being mounted vertical as opposed to the horizontal position.

I am a big fan of rotary machines when I started tattooing way back in the late 70s there were very little choices on either type of machine not like today a lot of tattooists were doing some nice work on home made machine's Ben Gunn, Rob Robbison were both very good artists who used rotary's the problem in today's market is you just don't know what is original or a copy a lot of the coil machine's from China are of very little use due to frame geometry and poor quality components but its possible to get one to run well if you can strip one down and rebuild with good quality components and if necessary shim the coils.

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. blue dragon

blue dragon

hi i have a jackhammer 5 and the machine is first rate for shading and colouring but dont like using it for lining work i prefer my old bulldog sparkie with eikon springs and coils. the jackhammer dont need much lookin after runs excellent all the time get out and use first time every time.

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.